Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Work work work work

First of all, I would like to apologize for the lack of attention I have been paying to this blog.  My best excuse is that I don't have internet in my apartment, but it mostly comes down to me being too lazy. 

I have been doing other things with my time though, mostly work related.  I found work exactly one week after arriving.  I'm a bartender at a "Biercafe" just a few blocks from our apartment, so the location is very convenient.  The cafe is attatched to a beer store (it is illegal to sell liquor and beer in the same store in the state of Oregon, so we sell 99% beer and that's why we call ourselves that) that offers over 1200 different bottles of beer (including Boulevard and a little Schlafly).  The cafe side has 17 taps of "uncommon" beer.  Basically, we strive to have beer on tap that you aren't going to find at every other bar in Portland (we recently had a creme brulee beer from New York).  Beer Advocate magazine ranked us 23 in the "best places to drink a beer on the planet" article they ran (it's framed in the store).  We host tasting events with different breweries frequently (7 times since I started) some of which bring the head brewer in to poor and field questions.  Everybody that works here is very knowledgeable about beer, and love talking about it all the time.  We field a lot of questions from patrons about certain beers, and are asked for recommendations often..  Basically my job allows me to stand around and talk about beer all day!

It's a good gig.  

No comments:

Post a Comment